Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Politics: Please Stop Yelling at Me.



People to Avoid This Week: Rabid Republicans, Deluded Democrats. Crazed Conservatives, Lunatic Liberals.

I've been putting off this entry because it dredges up just what the Cheerful Heart attempts to avoid: Anger. But really, the Cheerful Heart blog was born from my struggles with friends and family who feel it is their mission to convince me, and those like me, that their political views are truly right (and I use that word on purpose) and unless I, and my ilk, don't see the error of our ways, the country, the economy, my family and my own personal self and soul are doomed.

If you haven't guessed it by now, I am a liberal in most things, and those who badger me are conservatives. I have very few friends of this persuasion, although I am surrounded with a passel of in-laws who espouse these views. A few of them understand how I feel and don't push their views on me. For that I am grateful. I guess there are extremist liberals who pelt their family with rabid political missives, but I don't know any. Really, let's be honest, those portly folks with the red faces, men or women, poking their fingers in some politician's direction and shouting at the top of their lungs are almost always conservatives of one stripe or another. Tea baggers. Haters. Whatever.

As I age, and those around me age, I find that these people, the ones who spend their time on politics, watching political shows on TV and listening to ranters on the radio, have grown more and more bitter about their lives. When they retire it opens up vast new spans of time for them to cruise the Internet searching for kindred souls and new people and ideas to hate. These are not, necessarily, stupid people, some of them are quite smart, but being folk of little introspection, and being limited as far as intellectual pursuits are concerned (art, music, writing), and not even having much in the way of hobbies they sieze upon the one thing that they are really good at, the thing that makes them feel most alive: hating. Anger. Fury. It gives them satisfaction of the smug sort, allows them to look down on entire classes of people, to feel superior, usually after a lifetime of feeling inferior. It gives them purpose.

They are sad, little people. And I could feel some pity if their seemingly God-given purpose in life wasn't to attempt to enlist me in their cause by sending intellectually purulent, angry material that would be laughable were it not so mean spirited. Years ago when I would get these ridiculous messages in my in-box, I would run them by Snopes.com, and respond to the senders with the truth and a gentle admonition to check the veracity of the info they were sending out. Were these attempts to help them not make public fools of themselves met with gratitude? Never. Only sneering rejoinders like, “Well, it may not be exactly true, but it ought to be true!” (All quotes are real.) No thanks for straightening out a misconception, just more invective, more hate because even they knew they looked faintly, or blatantly ridiculous, unable, or, really, unwilling to apply even the commonest of sense, or simply check with a real authority.

After awhile I saw that any attempt to stem this tide was a lost cause, so I asked these posters to quit sending me any political material. I was interested in their families, their well being, but not their political or religious opinions. They were unable to stop themselves. “Well, just don't click to open it!” they said. “You don't have to read it!” (They always speak in either explanation points or ALL CAPS. They have no notions of Internet etiquette. Even here they point fingers and shout.) Or they would agree to desist. By the next day more would come in. I realized then that they were so Internet un-savvy that they probably didn't understand how to remove someone from their great swaths of addresses. I told them, gently, how to do so. I received back more invective because I was, “Trying to tell them what to do.”

Here's the only thing you can do, you seekers of the Cheerful Heart: block them from your computer. Completely. Irrevocably. Trust me, if someone gets sick, or there's bad news, they, or someone else will call you on the telephone.

This is the only way to keep their hard, black little souls from infecting your Cheerful Heart. Seal them away as you would any pathogen.

They can't stop themselves. If they didn't have their hate, they would have nothing.

2 comments:

  1. I have the same problem. I've had to block perfectly good people from my Facebook account because I just can't stomach the rants from the majority of their posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Allen. I believe that most who self-identify as "conservative republican" have used the part of the brain with which we pick our sports teams to also choose their political persuasion. I can expand on that theory, but I like your suggestion better. Best to just seal them away.

    ReplyDelete